Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Christian Autopilot...

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb. And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen. Revelation 7:9-12

By Todd Lockwood: I stop to pay tolls quite often in the Baltimore area. The people at the tolls are constantly interacting with drivers all day. Normally, my conversations with the workers are very brief out of respect for the drivers behind me. Today, as I began to drive off after paying, I started to think about the repetitive small talk that the workers have with the drivers day after day. It is easy to see when a worker is just going through the motions; they keep the conversation simple with the standard "hello", "thank you", or "have a great day." A worker going through the motions is locked in autopilot until something happens out of the ordinary.

But there are some workers that seem to enjoy every second of the day, every conversation. They are never without something witty or encouraging to say; as if they are on a mission to bring happiness to every driver. There have been many times where the workers have mentioned that my little girl was precious as she sat in the back seat. On one occasion, a worker complemented me for having a Bible sitting in my passenger seat.

When it comes to spiritual matters, having an attitude like the joyful workers would be pleasing to the Lord. I started thinking today of how it is easy to find yourself going through the motions, praying with the same repetitive words. God has a way of waking us up out of Christian autopilot but we can soon find ourselves back in it. The problem is a heart issue.

I am guilty of Christian autopilot but God has always intervened to snap me out of it. Our hearts are not able to worship God perfectly but one day we will be able to worship God perfectly for the rest of eternity.