Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Love: That Passes All Understanding...


Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. (1 John 4:10-11)

     Lately, I have tried to find reasons why I should love the church. And to be honest, my love for the church has weakened after several negative experiences in the last three years. God is known for giving a peace that passes all understanding, and I have desired for God to give me a love for the church that passes all understanding. During this last week, God has helped me to do just that.

     While listening to a sermon in church, the love God has for his children was mentioned. I began to think about my own thoughts about his children. I have had a hard time believing that the church was worthy of love but I was humbled once I realized that I was also saying that God was wrong for thinking that the church is worthy of love.

     How can I disagree with the love of God and at the same time ask him to give me his love that passes all understanding? If I want to have a love that passes all understanding, I have to love whatever God believes is worthy of love. God's graceful sacrificial love is beautifully shared to undeserving sinners, including me. I know that I am no better than any other church member and I need God to continue to remind me.